Apprentice Chef The Black Bull Hotel
Join our friendly, family run team and learn from experienced Chefs while working towards your Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship. For the right person, there is the opportunity to secure full time employment and progress to higher level qualifications.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2021
Total hours per week: 30.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2021
29 Jun 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
- Learn different procedures of food preparation
- Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of the Chef
- Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens and fryers
- Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
- Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and dealt with according to the restaurant’s policies
- Help the Chef in cooking activities by providing input and managing work
- Set up food stations by following Chef’s orders
- Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
- Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
- Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
- Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organised at all times
- Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocols are adhered to
- Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding high culinary standards
- Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly
- Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards
- Provide input into stock rotation activities and make sure that food inventory is in check
- Learn and employ the basics of food aesthetics in sync with the restaurant’s set instructions
- Maintain a “clean as you go” work ethic
Requirements and prospects
- Able to comunicate
- Can do attitude with a flexible approach
- Attention to detail
- Passion for food, culinary skills will be taught
- Good communicator
- Team Player
- GCSE Grades C/4 or above in maths and English or equivalent
- Possible future progression on successful completion of the apprenticeship
Things to consider
- 30 hours per week including one day per week spent working towards qualifications at college. Please note that the 30 hours worked as an average over the duration of the apprenticeship therefore you could be working more hours during high season and less hours when business is quiet, the 30 hours will be an average over this period. This will be discussed at interview
- The kitchen is often very hot and stressful. The candidate will show stamina and commitment to achieving their apprenticeship
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week)
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide is updated every April (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
Dating from 1680 the Black Bull, with its delightful period features, is Reeth's oldest surviving Inn. Overlooking the expansive village green with stunning views of Swaledale, this beautiful old hostelry provides quality accommodation and a wide variety of foods freshly prepared by our in house Chefs. A fine selection of real ales and quality wines are offered in our traditional bar, while regular live music and special events contribute to the friendly atmosphere which attracts locals and visitors alike.
We embrace the principle of good food in relaxed surroundings, we always use the freshest and best of ingredients and buy locally wherever possible.
Our menus celebrate a fabulous array of locally sourced meats, vegetables, fresh fish and seafood. As the seasons change so do our menus, to reflect the wealth of local produce for which this area is renowned; expect Blackboard Specials that reflect this. Our Dessert Menu provides a truly fabulous finish to any meal.
On a Sunday lunchtime we serve our Sunday Carvery and we strongly recommend you book a table.
Pet and child friendly we pride ourselves on offering friendly and efficient service; showcasing the best of local produce in our menus, as well as stocking an extensive range of wines and cask ales. A traditional pub complete with flag stone floors, exposed beams and roaring fires in winter. For those wishing overnight accommodation our well appointed en-suite rooms, most with stunning views of Reeth and Swaledale provide a peaceful and charming place to stay.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Darlington College
Kay Sherwen 07483103284 email@example.com
Commis Chef Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.