Apprentice Medical Receptionist/Administrator DEANE CLINIC HEALTHCARE LIMITED
Receive, assist, and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient, and effective way. Provide general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone
Closing date: 20 Feb 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
25 Mar 2022
06 May 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Job responsibilities will include:
- Ensure an effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the practice
- Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make new and follow-up appointments
- Using your own judgment and communication skills ensure that patients with no prior appointment but who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner
- Explain practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary cover and ensure procedures are completed
- Receive and make telephone calls as required
- Divert calls and take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate delivery
- Enter requests for home visits into the visit book, ensuring careful recording of all relevant details and where necessary refer to Duty Doctor
- Action repeat prescription requests and ensure that they are ready for collection by the patient within 48 hours, either on the computer or manually
- Prepare lists and notes for all surgeries and clinics held, ensuring completion of all associated paperwork
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private (non-general Medical Services) services, accept payment and issue receipts for same
- Enter patient information on to the computer as required
Patient notes and correspondence:
- Retrieve and re-file records as required, ensuring strict alphabetical order is adhered to
- Ensure correspondence, reports, results etc are filed promptly and in the correct records, ensuring that all recent correspondence is available when patients are seen
- Ensure records are kept in good repair with all necessary information on the outside cover clearly visible.
- Make and serve refreshments, ensure the kitchen is kept clean and tidy and air and tidy the waiting room in turn with other staff
- Ensure that all new patients are registered onto the computer system promptly and accurately
- Undertake any other additional duties appropriate to the post as requested by the Partners or the Practice Manager
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & Safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and Diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers, and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers, and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner which is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
- Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development
- Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work
The post-holder will strive to maintain quality within the practice, and will:
- Alert other team members to issues of quality and risk
- Assess own performance and take accountability for own actions, either directly or under supervision
- Contribute to the effectiveness of the team by reflecting on own and team activities and making suggestions on ways to improve and enhance the team’s performance
- Work effectively with individuals in other agencies to meet patients’ needs
- Effectively manage own time, workload, and resources
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognize people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Contribution to the Implementation of Services:
The post-holder will:
- Apply practice policies, standards, and guidance
- Discuss with other members of the team how the policies, standards and guidelines will affect own work
- Participate in audit where appropriate
If candidates are successful, a clear DBS check and 2 references will be required before, starting the position.
Requirements and prospects
- Good communication skills and have an excellent telephone manner
- Good IT skills - knowledge of Microsoft Office packages
- Great organisational skills and be able to plan, organise, and prioritise
- Passionate about doing a good job
- Committed to achieving common company goals
- A great team player
- Able to maintain confidentiality
GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent) in maths and English.
Upon completion of the Apprenticeship to the employers standards you may be asked to progress within the business.
Things to consider
Please ensure you complete the application in full, as this is the first impression an employer receives of you.
Ensure you have checked all spellings (and used Capital letters), it may be of benefit to use a word document and paste on to the application, thus making multiple applications easier.
If you need any further assistance or information on this vacancy, please email Apprenticeships@boltoncc.ac.uk remembering to quote the vacancy title.
About the employer
A One Stop Health Centre established since 2000. We are a long- established GP practice in Bolton, on the outskirts of Manchester. Our family doctors work with Nurses, Midwives, Health Visitors, Social Workers, and support staff to provide comprehensive Primary Care Services for all our patients.
The practice offers a full range of services with preventive medicine playing a primary role. We offer a personal and friendly service and encourage our patients to take an active interest in their own health care.
We are a modern, up-to-date practice and take full advantage of developments within the NHS to provide our patients with the best available services. We keep abreast of the latest improvements in medical and surgical care and strive to bring them to our patients whilst still ensuring that our traditional values of patient care and comfort are maintained.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Bolton College
Haniyah 01204 482036 Apprenticeships@boltoncc.ac.uk
Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 1/2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
Customer service practitioner
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.