Engineering Operative Apprentice Bridmet Ltd
Duties may include becoming proficient in the application and use of MIG / TIG welding, fabrication, brazing, soldering and other jointing processes; machine tools including conventional and CNC turning and milling, grinding and drilling. Other duties may include fitting and assembly skills including the use of hand tools.
Closing date: 01 Oct 2021
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
02 Oct 2021
17 Mar 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Duties to include:
- The candidate must be highly self-motivated & disciplined
- The Apprentice must demonstrate the ability to listen & follow very specific instructions & guidance, but not be afraid to ask questions
- The Apprentice must be punctual, hardworking & demonstrate a keen desire to learn
- The Apprentice will be taught how to read drawings, & measuring equipment to ensure that they are able to verify the components they have made conform to the customers drawing requirements & are right at the point of inspection first time, every time
- The Apprentice will be taught how to utilise, to best effect, all welding process equipment, machines & supporting equipment within a highly professional machine shop, which will include, Manual Milling, Manual Turning, CNC Milling & CNC Turning
- The Apprentice will be taught how to powder coat various parts
Requirements and prospects
- The ability to listen and ask questions
- Self-motivated and driven
- Common sense
- The ability to communicate accurately
- Good maths skills
- Good with using hands / co-ordinated
- Clean and presentable
- Keen a desire to learn
- Good at following instructions
- Desire to learn
- Hard working
- Good sense of humour
- Calm under pressure
5 GCSEs or equivalents at grade 9-4 to include English, maths and science.
At the end of the Apprenticeship period, the company would look to maintain employment with potentially various development opportunities within this growing area of the business. The idea behind running an active and ongoing Apprenticeship program is to invest in young people and provide sustainable employment going forward.
Our apprentices today are our future tomorrow.
Things to consider
By nature of the job, engineering does require employees to be flexible to meet the needs of the company and its customers. Therefore, there will be a need from time to time to work extra hours, which maybe outside of your contractual hours. Whilst this would not be necessarily expected of an Apprentice, more senior Apprentices and Skilled Engineers are expected to comply with these needs if and when at all possible.
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
Bridmet are a sub contract manufacturer of components and assemblies. Employing 120 staff and utilising the very latest in modern technology to manufacture a range of sheet metal fabrications. Serving a wide variety of industries including education, semi-conductor, water filtration, military and aviation, and special purpose machinery. Bridmet are a successful privately owned business who has enjoyed consistent year on year growth since its inception in 2008.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Weymouth College
Apprenticeships 01305 208709 Apprenticeships@weymouth.ac.uk
Training will be onsite, on the job training, which will be overseen by skilled, time served engineers.
There will be a 2 day release program in the first year in which the Apprentice will attend Weymouth College 2 days / week to study, develop their technical knowledge and understanding and become certified in the following areas:
- Engineering and Environmental Health and Safety
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)
- Metal Inert Gas / Metal Active Gas Welding Process (MIG)
- Tungsten Inert Gas Welding Process (TIG)
- *Producing Sheet Metal Fabrications
- Mechanical Engineering Principles
- Engineering Inspection and Quality Control
*N.B Unit delivery subject to availability.
The Apprentice will benefit from an encompassed framework enabling them to earn a wage whilst working alongside highly skilled engineers with onsite assessment and day release technical training and certification.
Following on from their first year Apprentices will be required to attend college 1 day a week and train for 4 days a week at Bridmet.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.