Commis Chef Apprentice ROOTS AND SEEDS LIMITED
This is the perfect role for someone who has previous experience of working in a kitchen that are looking to perfect their skills in a calm and controlled environment. If you have dreamed of being involved with the most dynamic and upcoming fine dining restaurant in the Cotswolds - this is for you.
Closing date: 03 Oct 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 30.00
Possible start date
04 Oct 2021
02 Mar 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
We are looking to hire a hard-working and efficient Commis Chef to prepare meal ingredients for the Head Chef and assist with various kitchen duties. The Commis Chef's responsibilities include informing the supervisor of a malfunctioning or broken kitchen equipment, unpacking and organising deliveries, and mopping up kitchen spills to prevent accidents and injuries. You should also ensure that all food items are properly stored to prevent spoilage.
To be successful as a Commis Chef, you should demonstrate excellent organisational skills and ensure that all duties are completed in a timely manner. Ultimately, an outstanding Commis Chef should be able to follow all instructions and comply with food health and safety regulations.
Working closely with the Head Chef - main duties will be:
- Accurately measuring meal ingredients for the Head Chef
- Preparing meal ingredients, which includes seasoning of different meats as well as washing, peeling, and chopping vegetables and fruits
- Running the wash up area
- Receiving deliveries and verifying that all ordered items have been delivered and are of good quality
- Taking inventory of restaurant supplies and notifying the supervisor of low or depleted supplies
- Discarding all expired and spoiled food items stored in the stock rooms, refrigerators, and freezers
- Performing basic cleaning duties and ensuring that workstations are properly sanitized
- Plating and presenting meal items as per the Chef de Partie’s instructions
Working Days - 4 nights a week-Wednesday to Saturday.
Hours - averaging 30 per week but will be reduced in the winter and longer in the busy summer months.
Shift pattern - 12pm till 9pm.
Contract - 12-18 months.
Hours and days subject to the needs of the business!
Requirements and prospects
- Food safety training
- Proven commercial kitchen experience
- Sound knowledge of food health and safety regulations
- The ability to stand for extended periods
- The ability to work under pressure
- Excellent organisational skills
- Effective communication skills
- Is a strong team player
- Excited for the chance to help develop and shape our business
- Most of all, you’ll LOVE to be challenged
- GCSE maths and English or equivalent preferred but upskilling is available
- Level 2 Food safety training prefered
Potential future events include Winter and 2022 with additional sites.
Things to consider
The restaurant is outside, set in a paddock at Todenham Manor Farm - while all amenities are accounted for, it is a different environment to a normal kitchen.
The Kitchen is in a converted shipping container which makes space important to think about and plan for.
About the employer
Cotswolds’ based The Scenic Supper re-opens its unique, socially distanced dining experience from 1st April to 25th September 2021 at Todenham Manor Farm near Moreton-in-Marsh, Gloucestershire.
Building on its success since opening in July last year, The Scenic Supper is building seven, new bespoke glasshouses accommodating either two or four guests, set on a Cotswold hilltop with panoramic views and delicious monthly changing set menus of modern British dishes.
The brainchild of three local school friends, Toby Baggott, Sam Lawson-King, and Scott Sullivan in response to lockdown and on-going Covid restrictions. Pre-lockdown, Toby worked in events management, Sam has a professional background in Wine & Spirits, owns and makes his own award-winning artisan gin King Stone Gin and had worked in the hospitality industry for 15+ years and Scott runs an outside catering business. Immediately affected by lockdown restrictions, the trio decided to launch a socially distanced dining experience using small, re-conditioned glasshouses.
Guests pre-book, pre-pay and pre-order their place at The Scenic Supper – Maximum number of guests per-evening is 28 but we usually serve 22. Service is run like a banquette service with all starters going out at the same time etc for the 5 courses.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Solihull College
Bryan Anderson 01789 266 245 BryanAnderson@Stratford.ac.uk
Commis Chef Apprenticeship Standard.
- Functional Skills in English and maths as required
- End point assessment
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.