Leisure and Fitness Apprentice - Selby Leisure Centre Wigan Leisure & Cultural Trust
Are you looking to kick start your career within the sport and leisure industry? Selby Leisure Centre are looking for a motivated individual to work towards their Fitness Instructor NVQ Level 2! You will be part of a friendly team to provide a fun, safe and quality experience for all of our customers.
Closing date: 20 Oct 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
06 Nov 2017
05 Oct 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
In this role you'll gain experience in all aspects of our operations. You would spend time lifeguarding our pools, working with clients in the gym and engaging with customers on reception you'll gain a fantastically broad experience.
Duties and responsibilities would include:
- Learning how to create personal exercise plans for members
- Demonstrating activities for members to follow
- Showing members how to use exercise machines and free weights correctly
- In line with health and safety supervise members to make sure they are exercising safely and effectively
- When on duty act as a point of contact for members dealing with any problems or concerns
- Complete health and safety checks as and when directed
- Be the point of contact for new members, taking them through the application process from start to finish including tours
- Lifeguard duties - provision of safe and effective pool supervision
- Reception duties
The programme is 12 months in duration, on successfully completing your apprenticeship we would expect that you'll be eligable to apply for a variety of roles to maintain employment and develop further.
Requirements and prospects
If you are invited to interview for this role you will be required to complete a swim test as part of the interview process, in order to be considered for the role you must be able to demonstrate you are able to do the following.
- Jump/dive into deep water
- Swim 50 metres in no more than 60 seconds
- Swim 100 metres continuously in deep water and then tread water for 30 seconds
- Surface dive to floor of pool (deepest part)
- Climb out unaided without ladders/steps and where pool design permits
- Candidates must have a passion for wanting to work within the sport and leisure industry and pursue their career within this sector
- Candidates must have excellent customer service skills
- Ability to swim to the level defined in the advert
- Hard working
- Ability to work wll as part of a team
- To be alert and observant at all times
- To portray a professional image of the company
GCSEs (or equivalent) qualifications are desirable.
Things to consider
About the employer
- Level 2 NVQ in Fitness Instructing (Gym)
- Level 2 certificate in Fitness Instructing
- First Aid at Work
- Functional Skills
Exercise and Fitness
WIGAN LEISURE AND CULTURE TRUST
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Wigan Leisure And Culture Trust
Penny Grimes 01942 828527 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 20 Oct 2017