Apprentice Editorial Assistant SOUTH WEST NEWS SERVICE LIMITED
Would you like to work in a busy editorial office? We are looking for someone to help our newsdesk with sourcing stories and pictures which will appear in the national newspapers, as well as providing administrative support to help cover all aspects of the biggest news stories on our patch.
Closing date: 12 Oct 2017
Total hours per week: 30.00
Possible start date
23 Oct 2017
14 Sep 2017
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
- The successful apprentice will work alongside the news and picture desks to carry out numerous editorial tasks to assist with the new stories being worked on each day. These tasks may include sourcing information which might help reporters to generate new leads.
- You willl be required to carry out regular checks of news websites and social media so that you are aware of any breaking news or stories happening within the regional patch.
- You will also use social media as directed to source viral stories, and help to contact potential contributors to secure content.
- The role will also include keeping an accurate and up-to-date diary of upcoming events or hearings which have a news interest, as well as keeping a clear record of anything worked on.
- Any other ad hoc duties may be assigned to you as required, to support the smooth running of the newsdesk.
Requirements and prospects
- Excellent knowledge of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Ideally, an understanding of other platforms including You Tube, Vine and other picture/video based programme.
- Excellent IT and PC skills, with experience of using Microsoft Office, email and the internet.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise a busy workload.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong literary skills.
- A keen attention to detail and a pride in accuracy.
- Care and thoroughness in your work.
- Able to work independently on your own initiative, as part of a small team but also an effective and willing team member.
- Self motivated.
- Adaptable and flexible.
- Able to take responsibility for prioritising and monitoring your own workload, with an ability to adapt quickly to changing requirements.
- A willingness to get involved in other tasks and to learn, along with a positive "can do" attitude.
- A strong sense of the need to ensure accuracy in all work and a willingness to take on board and understand basic legal guidelines.
- GCSE grades A* - C (or equivalent) in Maths, English Language and Science are desirable, and knowledge or use of ICT is preferred.
- However, SWNS will also consider applicants who are willing to develop these thorugh additional training.
- Having the right attitude, work ethic and commitment to your education as well as your employment are essential requirements to this role.
Things to consider
About the employer
You will study for an Advanced (Level 3) Level Apprenticeship in Social Media and Digital Marketing. This will include:
- A City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma in Social Media for Business.
- Functional Skills in Maths Level 2, English Level 2 and ICT Level 2.
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills.
Social Media and Digital Marketing
CAMBRIDGE REGIONAL COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Cambridge Regional College
Apprenticeships Team 01223 418778
Before you apply
Closing date: 12 Oct 2017