Apprentice Recreation Assistant Freedom Leisure
Take the first step into a career in the Leisure Industry We are looking for a full time Apprentice Recreation Assistant to join our friendly, professional Freedom Leisure team. You will need to be a strong swimmer and able to study for an Level 2 NVQ.
Closing date: 27 Sep 2017
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2017
11 Sep 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
You will possess a good work ethic and be a strong swimmer to pass the NPLQ lifeguard qualification within the first two months of your employment. Along with gaining nationally recognised qualifications your work based training will include
- Water safety and supervision of the swimming pool
- Setting up and taking down of equipment for activities and classes
- Maintaining high standards of cleanliness and hygiene
- Knowledge of the computer booking system and front of house operations
- Greeting customers, handling queries, comments and complaints
- The role of a Birthday Party and Holiday Activity Leader
- Cafe Crew and Kitchen duties
- Health & Safety, use of chemicals and First Aid knowledge
- You will contribute to operating the Leisure Centre in a professional and business orientated manner, in accordance with the organisations aims and objectives, recognising the need to achieve all targets and other performance indicators set.
- To ensure that the highest level of customer service is being delivered at all times, by all team members recognising and communicating its importance and relevance to the success of the organisation.
- To supervise the customers in the swimming pool and all other areas of the leisure centre, ensuring their safety and discipline and carry out pool supervision duties and all other duties in accordance with Normal Operating Procedures (NOP’s) and take action in accordance with Emergency Action Procedures (EAP’s)
- To fully participate in the performance review process and personal development planning.
- Undertake training as necessary in line with the development of the post and agreed with your line manager.
- Occasionally training or meetings are organised outside normal working hours. The post holder will be expected to attend whenever reasonably practicable.
- To achieve and demonstrate agreed standards of personal and professional development within agreed timescales.
- To contribute positively to the effectiveness and efficiency of the teams in which he / she works.
- To undertake any other duties at the request of the line manager which are commensurate with the role, including project work, internal job rotation and absence cover.
- We believe that our community vision starts with our staff and permeates through all our business, so we recognise the need to always protect the image and reputation of Freedom Leisure. It is therefore a condition of employment that all our employees uphold our beliefs by positively promoting and representing Freedom Leisure.
Requirements and prospects
You must be able to swim as follows:
- Swim 100 metres on front and then on back.
- Tread water in deep water for 30 seconds then climb out of the pool unaided without using steps.
- 20 metre swim and 20 metre tow with no more than 65 seconds from go to touch or secure standing position at the end of the tow.
Please note: If you are invited for interview - you will be required to undertake and pass a swim test - this will be completed prior to but on the day of your interview.
An ability and understanding of how to relate to customers of all ages, abilities and also to all members of staff. You must be a team player who has a high level of responsibility, flexibility, enthusiasm and motivation. Due to the nature of this role with members of the public we require all of our staff to maintain the highest level of professionalism and integrity.
No formal qualifications required but you must be able to work at a Level 2 to complete the NVQ and Technical Certificate.
Things to consider
The role includes maintaining the leisure centre environment which will include cleaning. This will form a significant part of your role. As the leisure centre is open a large number of hours to accommodate its users, you will also be required to do shifts which will include early mornings, evenings and weekends. A major part of the role will be interacting with customers so you will need to have excellent communication skills and be presentable and approachable.
About the employer
Candidates will be expected to complete both and off the job training. The majority of this will take place in the workplace but there will be some attendance of courses at other leisure centres.
Assessments will be made through a variety of methods including, observations, multiple choice assessments and worksheets.
- Functional Skills English Level 1
- Functional Skills Maths Level 1
- YMCA Level 2 Award in Employment Awareness in active leisure and learning.
- Active IQ NVQ Certificate in Leisure Operations
- Active IQ Certificate in Leisure Operations
- RLSS NPLQ
Leisure Operations and Leisure Management
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Freedom Leisure
Training Department 01825 880278 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 27 Sep 2017