Apprentice Healthcare Assistant Epsom & St Helier University Hospital Nhs Trust
Working under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse who remains accountable for the care delegated to an un registered nurse. The post-holder will deliver high quality nursing care to patients, as part of a c team.
Closing date: 25 Sep 2017
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
02 Oct 2017
07 Sep 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Duties of the post:
The post of an unregistered nurse is characterised by four principle role functions:
- Clinical practice
- Education training and development
- Evaluation of care provision and audit
- Human Resources
1.0 Clinical Practice:
The post-holder will ensure that in all areas of practice they adhere to all current Trust guidance.
1.1 Deliver agreed standards of nursing care with other members of the multidisciplinary team.
1.2 Ensure that nursing care is patient focused and that compassionate, dignified care and privacy is maintained at all times.
1.3 Ensure due regard is given to the trust values, customs, and spiritual beliefs of patients and that equity of care is practised.
1.4 Take an active role in maintaining effective communication with all disciplines, patients and relatives.
1.5 Keep up-to-date accurate nursing records under direction of the RN, ensuring that confidentiality is maintained at all times.
- Provide direct care to the patient as delegated by the qualified nurse.
- Work with nursing and other healthcare professions, patients and their relatives/carers to assist in the timely discharge from the area.
- Use reflection with their buddy/mentor to develop their practice
- Ensure competency in use of and safe maintenance of all medical devices.
- Report all untoward clinical incidents in the appropriate manner to the registered nurse or the senior nurse on duty.
- To develop an understanding of the need for a risk assessment approach to delivering patient care based on need.
- Ensure confidentiality at all times.
- Assist with all clerical and housekeeping duties including:
- Use of the patient administration system.
- Check results and file appropriately after review by doctor.
- Patient notes management.
- Cleaning and maintenance of ward equipment.
- Maintaining adequate infection Prevention and Control Practice.
- Order supplies and stores to ensure the activity of the clinical area can be carried out effectively and efficiently.
Requirements and prospects
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to empathise and be compassionate
- Experience of working within a team
- Understanding of confidentiality
- Familiar or experience at providing intimate care in a compassionate environment
- Demonstrates an insight into personal care needs
- Demonstrates a sense of commitment to working in a caring environment with people of all ages
- Effective interpersonal skills including listening
- Basic keyboard skills
- Demonstrates an ability to take instruction and ask for help
- Neat handwriting, able to converse with distressed/confused patients’
- GCSE or equivalent in English and Maths
- Demonstrates ability to work towards achieving Health and Social Care Level 2 certificate
- Must achieve Care Certificate in first 3 months of employment
Things to consider
About the employer
Healthcare Support Worker (HCSW) Level 2 including Level 2 Functional Skills English and Maths
Healthcare > Healthcare Support Worker
SOUTH THAMES COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by South Thames College
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 25 Sep 2017