IT Infrastructure Technician Apprentice Overt Software Solutions Limited
To assist the team in the support, development and training of designated commercial IT Support Services. You will be responsible for providing Server administration, backups, security, monitoring and user support of our customer’s services.
Closing date: 22 Oct 2017
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
23 Oct 2017
30 Aug 2017
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
To assist the team in the support, development and training of designated commercial IT Support Services within the Educational, Training and Business sectors. The postholder will be responsible for providing Server administration, backups, security, and monitoring and user support of our customer’s services as well as managing our own hosting servers.
Key tasks/Specific duties:
- Responsible for undertaking 1st and 2nd line software maintenance and support duties within the support team, on a range of projects and services.
- Undertake the maintenance, diagnostic and corrective action of the support team online helpdesk and support call system, in an adequate and appropriate form.
- Ensure that the administration of all servers in the support team and hosted support services are maintained backed up and secured appropriately under the guidance of the Service Delivery Manager.
- Undertake support service installations, web programming, support calls and maintain the support team helpdesk as and when required.
- Provide fault logging/tracking in conjunction with the Helpdesk software.
- Log support calls in accordance with the support team procedures.
- Communicate effectively with customers at all levels (telephone, electronic mail and online support desk).
- Keep abreast of technical and industry developments and share such information through team discussions and briefings etc.
- To assist in the development of new, or extend existing web applications using any appropriate solution.
- Assist in the configuration of authentication modules and solutions to connect to user directories using the appropriate means.
- Assist in-house project work and development to enhance Overt Software’s business model and the development of support service and products.
- Perform backups and archival of files stored on the network, including the security and maintenance of backup files, to assist in recovery efforts.
- Assist in maintaining the operating system and security software utilised on Overt Software’s network/online infrastructure.
- This post is primarily based at the Worcester branch, however the post holder might be required to travel to Overt's customer sites within the scope of their duties.
- To train other employees in the technicalities, duties and responsibilities of the post.
- To participate in Overt Software’s Annual Professional Development Review Scheme and to undertake and attend all appropriate training and staff development events to ensure continuous professional development.
- To comply with Overt Software Solutions financial regulations.
- The post holder’s duties must at all times be carried out in compliance with Overt Software Solution’s Equal Opportunities Policies and other policies designed to protect employees or service users from harassment.
- To be responsible for herself/himself and others in accordance with the Data Protection,
- Health and Safety at Work etc. Act and, in the case of all workforce supervised, to be responsible for the supervision of the workforce in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, related legislation, Overt Software Solutions Safety Policy, the support service’s safety policy and operating guidance notes produced by HR Overt Software Solutions Ltd.
- To undertake any other duties appropriate to the level of the post.
Requirements and prospects
These skills are essential:
- Experience in using a range of operating systems, specifically Linux
- Experience of installing and upgrading software
- Experience of using a range of software packages, especially open source
These skills are desirable:
- Experience of working in an IT environment
- Experience of delivering a quality service to a client
- Knowledge of PHP and MySQL
- Knowledge of open source technologies (Moodle, Wordpress, Joomla)
- CentOS client and server (Linux, MySQL)
- Familiarity with website design (HTML, CSS)
You will have the following qualities:
- Ability to manage time and meet deadlines
- Self motivated and have the ability to organise your own workload
- Can work flexibly or part of a team
- Able to work under pressure and handle urgent requests in an appropriate manner
- Commited to self development
You will be educated to at least GCSE level including English and Maths (or equivalent). An IT qualification would also be desirable.
Things to consider
Are you able to travel to the place of work in Worcester on a daily basis?
Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than advertised if a suitable candidate is identified.
About the employer
Overt Software are based in the UK and provide solutions to businesses and educational institutions all over the world.
Most important of all, are our customers. Since day one, our ethos of exceptional service and honest expert advice has been at the heart of everything we do.
We believe the benefits of open source software are lower cost of ownership, no vendor lock in, better security and it is easily customisable.
Overt Software specialise in providing installation, support and project management services, particularly in the areas of federated access management, cloud computing and virtual learning environments.
- City & Guilds Advanced Diploma in ICT Professional skills, including an industry certification (Microsoft MTA or CIW Certified Internet Web Professional), together with on site training by the employer.
- TDM Wyre Academy delivers Advanced and Higher apprenticeship programmes that are licensed by eSkills UK as Tech Industry Gold apprenticeship programmes. Tech Industry Gold apprenticeship programmes equip young people with the skills for a career in technology.
- Tech Industry Gold is a new accreditation that delivers top quality learning and development. The course standards have been set by employers, and created to ensure that participants develop the blend of technical, business and interpersonal skills that are much in demand in the workplace.
- Organisations across the tech sector have laid down the programmes, facilitated by e skills UK, the employer body for technology skills.
- For those starting at Advanced (Level 3), the expected duration would be 1 year. There is an opportunity to progress on to the Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4).
Digital Industries > Infrastructure Technician
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by The Development Manager Ltd
Tania Hemming 03331010040 firstname.lastname@example.org
Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage (ANMW): The National Minimum Wage for Apprentices is £3.50 per hour. This is the legal minimum pay per hour applying to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their apprenticeship. For apprentices 19 or over who have completed their first year and are continuing their apprenticeship, the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies.
Please check your emails on a regular basis and make sure that you are contactable on the mobile/telephone number(s) you have provided - we will be using these forms of communication in order to contact you regarding your application.
All applications must be made through Apprenticeship vacancies. Do not contact the employer directly.
You may find it beneficial to check whether your travel arrangements to and from the workplace will be adequate using either of the following route planners: http://www.traveline.info or http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp
Please be aware that this vacancy may close earlier that the published closing date should we identify a suitable candidate.
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 22 Oct 2017