Business Administration Apprentice James Bedford & Co Ltd
This is an exciting opportunity to work for James Bedford undertaking varied duties with the office environment of a busy manufacturing site. You will be working with a small hardworking and friendly team in an established family business.
Closing date: 29 Sep 2017
Total hours per week: 32.50
Possible start date
02 Oct 2017
15 Aug 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
The role will include various administration duties with the aim to develop and have more responsibility during your apprenticeship. The role will include some of the following areas:
- General administrative duties including typing correspondence by e-mail and letter
- To undertake filing, faxing, record keeping, photocopying and distribution of relevant documents.
- Support to members of the Admin and Management Team in various tasks
- Using Microsoft Packages, in particular Word, and Excel
- To deal courteously, professionally and efficiently with all visitors.
- Answering the telephone in a professional manner and dealing with enquiries
- Responsible for co-ordinating the post
- Providing refreshments for visitors when required
- Inputting data onto internal systems with a High level of accuracy
- Dealing with stationary/stock levels and reordering as and when appropriate
- Assisting all members of the team as and when required
- Dealing with requests for information
- Potential opportunity to develop skills and responsibilities in digital and social media marketing as the role progresses
- Ensuring that the Policies of the company are observed and that good practice is encouraged, particularly in the areas of Health & Safety, Equal Opportunities and confidentiality.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by the organisation which is relevant to your post within the company to meet the overall business objectives.
Requirements and prospects
- Somebody who is a good verbal communicator who has a polite, clear and professional telephone manner.
- Must have a good level of literacy skills
- IT literate and have a good understanding of Microsoft Packages.
- Required to work to deadlines, with good time management.
- Good numeracy skills.
- Confident in using email and the internet.
- The successful candidate will be organised.
- Willing to work effectively in the team and take personal initiative
- An enthusiastic individual
- Flexible approach to work, willing to go the extra mile to get the job done
- Must be punctual as well as having a good attendance record
- Ability to work on own initiative, when required
- Ability to work effectively as both part of a team and as an individual,
- Respond positively to the demands of a varied workload.
- Friendly and approachable.
- Commitment to undertake continued training and development.
- Grade C or above in Maths and English or equivalent would be preferred but each person will be considered on their individual merits.
There is a possibility that you might gain a permanent position following successful employment as well as achievement of the full apprenticeship qualification.
There may also be further apprenticeship/other training available following successful employment and achievement of the apprenticeship qualifications
Things to consider
There are bus-stops on Gelderd Road (Pheasant Drive) which is on the main bus route from Leeds, Batley, Mirfield and Huddersfield. It is a 4 minute walk on well-lit roads to the site.
The site is on an industrial estate but is close to several amenities including shops and restaurants. However, it might be difficult for employees without a car to get to a shop to purchase lunch and it is therefore recommended to bring a packed lunch would could be eaten on site
There would be minimal expectation for an office based employee to have to spend time on the shop-floor.
Dress code is business casual (no denim except Fridays). The business is a traditional manufacturer and hence the office environment is appropriate to that.
About the employer
James Bedford & Co. (Yorkshire) Ltd have been manufacturing high quality industrial and commercial steel furniture for over 40 years.
We supply hazardous & general storage cabinets, workbenches and trolleys to a wide variety of customers including industrial distributors, schools, hospitals, laboratories, factories, garages, commercial builders, oil rigs & chemical plants.
We deliver our products across the UK, into Europe
NVQ Diploma Business Administration – The NVQ qualification starts on date of employment - Evidence is gathered and assessed in the workplace.
The candidate will understand the following: Organising and administering meetings, manage diary systems, how to use different office equipment, organisation of travel and accommodation, use of mail services in a business, understand customer service in a business, how to prepare different types of business documents, understand data protection, confidentiality, copyright, security, how information is managed in business organisations, laws, health and safety as well as confirming understanding of the company’s policies - Delivered in college – The delivery starts in September, on a Wednesday.
o Maths Level 1 then 2
o English Level 1 then 2
o ICT Level 1
Exemptions may apply if GCSE Grade C or
equivalent has been achieved.
You will be required to attend college one day per week for this training.
Business and Administration
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Kirklees College
Following applying for this vacancy the first stage, after your initial application, will be to attend an interview with Nichola Barnes at Kirklees College, Huddersfield. If you do not attend this interview your application will not progress any further.
For any further information on this vacancy please contact Nichola Barnes at Kirklees College on E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
or Tel: 01484 437066/07788390025
NO CONTACT should be made with the employer at this initial stage, the College is more than happy to help you with any queries you may have.
Candidates will be asked to complete a literacy & numeracy assessment as part of their application.
We would also be willing to offer a Level 3 Business Administration Apprenticeship to a candidate who already has the knowledge and experience of how to undertake all general office practices, supervise/train staff on how to undertake these office practices and be able to manage a project/budget without supervision.
The salary may be negotiable. This will depend on experience.
The salary may also increase after a probationary period, if the budget allows, following successful employment and production of the required work towards achieving the qualifications towards the apprenticeship training programme.
This vacancy may close early if sufficient applications are received. Please ensure you apply early to avoid disappointment.
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £3.50 per hour. This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 29 Sep 2017