Professional Cookery Apprenticeship - Apprentice Chef - Level 2 The Blacksmiths Arms
Working in this busy pub/restaurant the suitable candidate will be working within the kitchen area.
Closing date: 15 Oct 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
22 Oct 2017
14 Aug 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who has a true interest and passion in the catering industry and really wants to get on the ladder to a long and successful career. Hardworking, good listener & communicator, can work well within the team and use their own initiative and in return the right candidate would be working with highly trained and motivated staff that will pass on their skills knowledge and expertise. Excellent communication skills and ability to work under pressure and at speed are essential due to the nature of this post.
- To enable a smooth kitchen operation and assist with quality of food and beverage to be served to YSP visitors, corporate hospitality, wedding and internal clients.
- To assist the Kitchen Manager & Senior Production chef (SPC) with the management of all aspects of food preparation and production in particular being responsible for the delegated specialist cooking activities of the service provision within the restaurant, outlets, hospitality and conferencing.
- To assist the Kitchen Manager & SPC with organisation and operation of the kitchen, hygiene controls, recipe controls, health and safety, security of kitchen provisions and ensuring equipment is maintained.
- To assist with the creation of new menus ensuring full recipe costings are completed and budgeted gross margins are met.
- To be responsible for the preparation, production, cooking and food service to agreed standards of quality, presentation and production ensuring compliance with Health & Safety and Food Hygiene Regulations.
- Ensure that all menus, recipes, costing & specifications are followed & implemented in your area of work.
- Responsible for any specialist areas of food production including corporate hospitality, wedding and private dining menus as delegated by the Kitchen Manager. Ensure that client specifications, quality standards and cost targets are achieved in all areas.
- Ensure methods of operation procedures and standards of hygiene and cleanliness are maintained in all food preparation areas and outlets paying particular attention that personnel and food hygiene regulations and temperature control measures are correctly recorded.
- Ensure all staff comply with the Health and Safety Regulations and Procedures including the reporting of accidents, hazard analysis critical control points (HACCP) & related procedures, the control of substances, hazardous to health (COSHH), the operation of safe manual handling practices, fire prevention with evacuation procedures and treatment of staff requiring first aid.
- Ensure all equipment being used is correctly cleaned, in good working order and safe to use. Any faults or repairs required are to be reported to the Kitchen Manager or Second Chef’s and to assist when required with inventories of equipment.
- Assist with monitoring and control of kitchen stock, supplies and provisions working with the Kitchen Manager to process requisitions and orders for new stocks.
- To attend training courses as required.
- Any other duties as requested by Senior Management.
And any other duties commensurate with the grade and falling within the scope of the post, as requested by Management.
There is the opportunity of a job at the end of the apprenticeship for the right applicant
Apprenticeships start throughout the year and are open to any age of candidate.
Apprentices must show commitment to the following:
- To achieve apprentice framework (Key Skills, NVQ and Technical Certificate) within the specified time frame
- Attend the apprenticeship induction programme
- Attend all of the training sessions for the programme whenever necessary
- Undertake any other required development work as part of the apprenticeship programme as requested
- Any other duties as deemed appropriate by senior staff.
- To complete training assignments and maintain a student portfolio, which will be assessed by an assessor
It is important that qualifications are listed on your application no matter what the grade, as your application is sifted and sent to the employer based on meeting the Employers Vacancy Criteria.
Please log into NAS (National Apprenticeship Service) on a regular basis and look at the “Read Feedback” section against each individual application .
Requirements and prospects
- Multi tasker,
- Able to follow instructions but also show initiative,
- Good communication skills,
- Must have the ability to work under pressure and at speed.
- Candidates must be flexible regarding working hours
- Be able to work long shifts on their feet,
- Enthusiastic approach to all aspects of work.
- Excellent timekeeping,
- Professional and presentable appearance,
- Able to work as part of a team.
- Have a true interest and passion for the catering and hospitality industry, patient and be willing to learn.
2 GCSE’s at Grade A* to E or the equivalent functional skills qualifications
Things to consider
About the employer
The Blacksmiths Arms
Delivery to be completed onsite and day release at Barnsley College, Student to complete an intermediate technical certificate in professional cookery.
Functional Skills in Maths and English if required.
Catering and Professional Chefs
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Barnsley College
Julia Caldwell 01226 216 166 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 15 Oct 2017