Commis Chef Apprenticeship with The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Learning preparation & cooking of all fresh ingredients on site. Including meat, fish, poultry, vegetables, breakfast, banqueting & desserts. You will learn basic kitchen skills, in addition learn about food hygiene, health & safety, storage & cleaning. Live theatre cookery, hospitality service, customer service with face-to-face interaction
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2017
09 Aug 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- Participate in the preparation and cooking and serving of main meals, snacks, cakes, etc. in accordance with specified menus.
- Ensure menus are displayed showing choices.
- Determine quantities to be cooked and size of portions to be served.
- Ensure individuals on special diets or with specific cultural needs are catered for and that choice is also available.
- Help maintain records of stock and let it be known if any orders need to placed in order to maintain an adequate stock of food.
- Provide quality checks on stock.
- Follow HACCP’s processes.
- Take part in washing and cleaning of floors, crockery, utensils, work surfaces and other kitchens equipment while ensuring that the necessary hygiene and health and safety standards are maintained in the kitchen.
- Ensure that the appropriate clothing, including head wear, is worn at all times in accordance with guidelines.
- Co-operate fully with the statutory inspections and implement recommendation as appropriate.
- To understand responsibilities in relation to fire procedures, health and safety, COSSH, infection control, food hygiene and emergency aid.
In addition to the above, there are some general requirements that apply to all jobs:
1) Participation in staff meetings.
2) Participation in training activities.
3) Participation in staff supervision and personal development review
4) Participate in quality assurance systems.
5) Take responsibility for personal development by keeping abreast of developments in the catering field.
6) All duties must be carried out to comply with:
- Notification of accidents and other Health and Safety
- Statutory legislation, in particular the Health and Hygiene
- Nationally and locally agreed Codes of Good Practice.
- Fire precautions.
- Equal opportunity principles and the Trusts anti-discriminatory
Health and Safety
To be responsible for your own health and safety and that of anybody else whom may be affected by your acts of omissions.
Requirements and prospects
• Excellent personal presentation
• Ability to work under pressure
• Flexible to the needs of the job/industry
• Willing to learn
.Outgoing and confident – front facing
• A strong interest in food - preparing and cooking ingredients.
• This a practical on position
• Excellent organisational skills
• Motivation is key
• GCSE English and Maths grades A-D / 3-9 (or equivalent)
• GCSE Cookery/Food Tech desirable
Things to consider
About the employer
On the job training 4 days a week and also 1 day a week at WKC
Commis Chef Apprenticeship standard
Functional Skills English and maths at Level 1, progressing to level 2
Hospitality > Commis Chef
WESTMINSTER KINGSWAY COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Westminster Kingsway College - Hospitality 'Workforce Development
Susan Milbank firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017