Medical Receptionist Apprentice Stennack Surgery
An exciting opportunity to join a vibrant GP practice in St Ives, Cornwall as a Medical Receptionist/Administrator apprentice. This is a year-long apprenticeship with progression opportunities for career enhancement. The apprentice will be an active member of our hard working team. Full training and support will be provided! Earn while you learn.
Closing date: 31 Oct 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
06 Nov 2017
25 Aug 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join a vibrant GP practice in St Ives, Cornwall as a Medical Receptionist/Administrator Apprentice.
You will offer general assistance to the Practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient, and effective way.
Undertake a variety of administrative duties to assist in the smooth running of the Practice including the provision of secretarial and clerical support to clinical staff and other members of the Practice team.
Facilitate effective communication between patients, members of the primary health care team, secondary care and other associated healthcare agencies.
Duties and responsibilities to be undertaken by members of the Practice administration team may include any or all of the follow items.
Duties may be varied from time-to-time under the direction of the Office Manager/Senior Receptionist dependent on current and evolving Practice workload and staffing levels:
- Maintaining and monitoring the Practice appointments system.
- Processing telephone/face-to-face requests for appointments, visits and telephone consultations and ensuring callers are directed to the appropriate healthcare professional.
- Distributing incoming (and outgoing) mail.
- Filing and retrieving paperwork.
- Ensuring newly registered patients have completed all forms correctly and are given our Practice Leaflet and offered a health check appointment.
- Computer data entry/data allocation and collation; processing and recording information in accordance with Practice procedures.
- Initiating contact with and responding to requests from patients, other team members and associated healthcare agencies and providers.
- Providing clerical assistance to Practice and Trust staff as required, including word/data processing, filing, photocopying and scanning.
- To work as PA to Duty GP on a rota basis liaising with the on-call doctors to organise visit allocation and ensure clinics run smoothly, contact patients who need follow up appointments and organise transport/urgent ambulances when required.
- Photocopying insurance medicals and reports and maintaining record books and files thereof.
- Charging patients the appropriate amount for private work and providing receipts.
- To work as Nurse Receptionist on a rota basis liaising with the nursing team, GPs and district nurses, processing and checking all samples are correct and ready for the courier each morning and preparing paperwork for forthcoming clinics.
- Informing appropriate staff when stationery supplies need replacing.
- Keeping the reception area, notice-boards and leaflet dispensers tidy and free from obstructions and clutter.
- Keeping the waiting room comfortable and tidy during the day.
- Checking and closing down consulting rooms at the end of the day. Opening up/locking-up of Practice premises and maintaining security in accordance with Practice protocols.
- Ensuring the telephone system transfers from/to the ‘out of hours’ service at the beginning/end of the day.
- Be able to prioritise tasks and work as part of a team.
Requirements and prospects
- Literate in Information Technology
- Have an understanding, acceptance and adherence to the need for strict confidentiality
- Have excellent communication skills
- Have the ability to work under pressure
- Able to work as part of a team
- Self motivation
- Team player
- Creative thinker
- Positive, sensitive and compassionate
- Sense of humour
- Ability to self reflect and seek advice and support if necessary
- GCSE or equivalent grade C or above in English and Maths
Things to consider
About the employer
The candidate will take on a full structured apprenticeship programme consisting of a blended learning approach, which will involve an assessor visiting the candidate at least every 4 weeks to help mentor and coach the candidate through the qualification, and teaching provided either in groups, one to one or via our online virtual learning environment.
At the end of the course you will be completely employable with the following components achieved:
- QCF Level 2 in Support Services in Healthcare
- Level 2 BTEC Employment and Personal Skills in Health
- Functional Skills Maths and English Level 1
All components are delivered together within the workplace being supported throughout with a personal tutor.
Health Healthcare Support Services
DYNAMO HEALTHCARE TRAINING LTD
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Dynamo Healthcare Training
Tanya Swanson 01736 753 933 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 31 Oct 2017