Apprentice Assistant Caretaker COMMUNITY ACADEMIES TRUST
To undertake a range of duties under the direction of the Assistant School Business Manager for the care, cleanliness, safety and security of the site
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2017
03 Aug 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Responsible to the Site Supervisor for the care, cleanliness and security of the school site. Based mainly at The Polesworth School, but part of a wider team across the North Warwickshire CAT School hub.
- The post has some impact on the well-being of individuals or groups (i.e. physical, mental, social, health and safety).
- The post supervises, checks work, instructs or trains a small number of staff.
- The post has no (or limited) direct responsibility for financial resources other than occasional handling small amounts of cash, processing cheques, invoices etc.
- The post has considerable responsibility for cleaning, maintenance and repair of a range of equipment or buildings and/or responsibility for security of buildings.
- Routine and non-routine opening and closing and security of premises and grounds (although closing & emergency reaction will be undertaken by an external contractor).
- Assist in carrying out security procedures for the school buildings and grounds
- Assisting in prevention of trespass on the premises
- Assist to ensure unauthorised parking of vehicles does not occur.
- Monitoring of work to cleaners
- Checking work is of standard required
- Carry out cleaning of own designated area to the required standard, where applicable
- Stripping and retreating floors when necessary
- Checking safety of site and ensuring the removal and safe disposal of hazards
- Responsible for maintenance and repair of basic tools and equipment
- Carry out minor or temporary maintenance and repairs of building
- Report items, repairs, maintenance work that is required and is beyond the competence of the caretaking staff
- Report damage as appropriate
- Boiler room maintenance
- Direct contractors to sites of repair and maintenance work
- Inspect work of contractors where a satisfaction note required.
- Operate heating plant to maintain certain temperatures and ensure adequate supply of hot water available
- Carry out frost precaution procedures and procedures in event of fire, flood, breaking and entering, accident or major damage
- Ensure drains and gullies are inspected to ensure they are free flowing and clean, dealing with blockages as necessary
- Ensure that caretaking and cleaning equipment is in a safe and working condition
- Receive delivery of stock, materials etc, ensuring appropriate storage and distribution.
- Ensure adequate supply of fuel, light bulbs and janitorial materials are available and distribution.
- Provide emergency access in the event of snow or minor flooding or similar emergency situations
- Ensure playing areas and paths are free from litter
- Move equipment, resources, furniture as required (e.g. for examinations)
- Assist Site Supervisor in undertaking risk assessments and any other duties as directed.
Support for the school
- Contribute to the School’s responsibility to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people
- Contribute to the overall ethos, work and mission statement of the school
- Undertake any other duties appropriate within the grading of the post, including wider support and cover as requested for other colleagues within the wider team.
- Positively contribute to the objectives and aims of Community Academies Trust
Requirements and prospects
- Able to carry out routine tasks, under direction with limited supervision.
- Able to carry out instructions from others.
- Able to learn techniques relating to site matters and to use equipment after training.
- Willing and able to work outdoors, in differing weather conditions and prolonged periods of standing/walking.
- No previous experience required.
- Able to carry out procedures, routines and follow instructions.
- Able to use a computer and use basic software packages;
- Willing and able to complete all learning and assessment requirements of the relevant framework or standard;
- Able to establish good working relationships with colleagues, pupils, parents and outside agencies;
- Ability to travel to work location without assistance;
- Good time-keeping and time management;
- A commitment to the work ethic.
- A minimum of GCSE pass Grade C in English and Maths.
- A candidate who does not meet these criteria may be provided with additional support in order to achieve this minimum standard.
- Other qualifications, specific to role, may be required.
Things to consider
About the employer
Facilities management companies often undertake a diverse range of responsibilities, which are dependent on the structure and size of the organisation. They can be involved in both strategic planning and day-to-day operations, particularly in relation to buildings and premises. They are responsible for the smooth running of the environments we encounter in our working and personal lives. They work behind the scenes to support all operations.
This course is for those operating both front of house and behind the scenes to support operational service delivery, this programme provides training in working with customers and as part of a team but also enables candidates to choose a specialist pathway from front of house, reception, cleaning, maintenance, security and back office or mailroom.
THE SKILLS PARTNERSHIP LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by The Skills Partnership Limited
Daniella Slabbert 07850 900736 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017