Retail Butcher Shop Apprentice Middle Farm Shop
Excellent opportunity to work and learn in our established respected farm shop in East Sussex. The candidate would be expected to serve our customers providing excellent customer service at all times.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2017
01 Aug 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- To promote home and locally produced meat and game, and to comply fully with Middle Farm standards of sell-by/use-by dates, temperature checks, quality control, stock rotation, attractive stock display and the highest level of customer care.
- To always contribute to the improved performance of the butchery department.
- To be a supportive team member always treating other team members and customers with fairness and courtesy.
- To be punctual, polite and professional at all times.
- To fully comply with Health and Safety and Food Hygiene legislation at all times, strictly adhering to cleaning schedules.
- To minimise business costs and be at all times environmentally responsible with regard to waste and resources.
- To ensure that the retail area, including windows, walls, fridges/freezers, light switches etc. are thoroughly cleaned on a regular rota, strictly adhered to.
- To learn the skills required of a Retail Butcher.
- To gain a comprehensive knowledge of Middle Farm’s own produce, local produce and all stock within the butchery shop and associated retail departments.
- To communicate clearly with both customers and team members.
- To prioritise the tasks for the day ahead.
Day to day operation
- Serving customers with a smile.
- Assiduous rotation of stock, according to date and prompt re-stocking of shelves and displays as needed, ensuring that the last hour of each day is spent filling the shelves ready for the following day.
- Maintaining clean, tidy and safe environment at all times for customers and fellow team members.
Requirements and prospects
- We are looking for a hardworking, friendly individual who is prepared to offer excellent customer service.
- They must enjoy learning new skills and be both numerate and literate.
- Must have a positive attitude, be self-motivated and enthusiastic about both the course and working here at Middle Farm.
- Must be prepared to work in a clean and tidy way.
- No formal qualification required although English and Maths would be beneficial.
Things to consider
About the employer
Level 2 Standard Butchery Apprenticeship at Plumpton College, Ditchling Road, Plumpton, East Sussex, BN7 3AE and at the Butchery School in Robertsbridge.
The candidate will be employed, earning a monthly wage whilst working towards the Level 2 qualification and additional qualifications in Food Safety and Health & Safety. There is the chance to take part in several field trips including visits to a livestock market, farms and some benchmark businesses. The apprenticeship also includes membership to the prestigious Institute of Meat.
The candidate will attend the butchery school at least once a month and supportive tutors will continue to visit them at the workplace. Courses start three times a year, entry is by interview.
Butchery > Butcher
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Plumpton College
Middle Farm 01323 811411 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017