Apprentice Lab Technician Intertek Group
Intertek are looking to recruit an Apprentice Lab Technician to join their team based in Blackley.
Closing date: today
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
27 Sep 2017
30 Jul 2017
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
The job holder will work as a member of the Intertek Facilities Management (IFM) team providing support for sample and facilities management. This will entail a number of activities, including, but not limited to, sample logging, storage, dispensing and disposal; performance verification of laboratory equipment such as balances, pipettes, fume cupboards other equipment such as fridges and freezers.
However, there may be occasions where they will be required to support analytical service delivery in other Delivery Teams either on an ad hoc basis or for extended periods on a project by project basis.
Under the direction and close supervision of senior IFM staff:
- Ensure incoming samples are unpacked and handled safely, examined, correctly logged in on Study Manager, stored as directed and in line with IPSM procedures, and that the relevant Delivery Teams are notified promptly and documentation completed fully.
- Ensure incoming consumables and reagents are unpacked and handled safely, examined, correctly logged, stored as directed and in line with IPSM procedures, and that the relevant analysts are notified promptly and delivery notes passed to the Operational Administration Team.
- Dispense and receive samples to and from analysts.
- Assist with sample and material disposals.
- Respond to alarm incidents generated by environmental storage units monitoring systems.
- Carry out routine performance checks, scheduled preventative maintenance and log book reviews of laboratory equipment such balances, fume hoods, reagent fridges, pipettes, high purity water units.
- Carry out all work safely and be aware of chemical and handling hazards. Report any issue to the supervisor.
- Contribute to general laboratory housekeeping under the supervision of the supervisor/chemist-in-charge to maintain the lab and equipment in a safe and orderly state.
Requirements and prospects
- Knowledge and application of appropriate systems and procedures relevant to scientific method.
- Knowledge of safety procedures, laboratory performance standards, handling chemicals, COSHH.
- Numeracy; calculating/tabulating results.
- Communication: written, spoken, liaising, e.g. accurate recording of data to quality procedures (GLP, GMP, GCP etc.).
- IT: keyboards, spreadsheets, graphic display for data retrieval.
- Basic knowledge of IPSM services and business areas.
- Procedure and Standards: ability to follow established procedures (SOPs) and instructions.
- Results Orientation.
- Ability to learn.
- Concern for Standards.
- GCSE Grade C or above in English and Maths or Equivalent.
Things to consider
About the employer
- Functional Skills.
- Employment Rights.
- Technical Certificate.
Laboratory and Science Technicians
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Trafford College
Sabina Dunworth - Ali 0161 886 7461 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: today