Local Environmental Services Apprentice MIDDLESBROUGH ENVIRONMENT CITY TRUST LIMITED
As a Local Environmental Service apprentice you will be involved in growing food plants from soil preparation and seed sowing through to harvesting and distribution. They will also be involved in a range of site construction and maintenance tasks
Closing date: 25 Jul 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
01 Aug 2017
12 Jul 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- Supporting community and school growing projects through cultivating crops, from seed sowing through to harvesting and distribution
- General site maintenance such as grass cutting, strimming and hedge cutting, including the use of powered machinery
- Soil preparation and weed control on community sites
- Maintaining and running community composting sites
- landscape construction on community and school sites, including creating paths, raised beds and compost bays
- Maintaining waste and disposal and recycling facilities
- maintaining both composting and plumbed toilet facilities
- Pruning of fruiting and flowering plants.
In additional to these duties:
- To assist with other aspects of MEC's work and such other duties in keeping with the general aims of the post as may from time to time be determined by the Director
- To ensure that the requirements of the company's Health and Safety policies and procedures are practised and observed
- To ensure that the requirements of the company's Equal Opportunities and Environment policies and procedures are practised and observed
Requirements and prospects
There are no essential skills or experience required for this job role, however the following would be desirable for candidates to have experience of the following:
- Horticulture and land management work
- Working with community groups or in community settings
- Self motivated
- Good team worker
- Personal interest in gardening
- Good organisational skills
- Good communication skills
- Commitment to sustainable living
No formal qualifications required however a good general level of education is desirable to enable apprentices to complete the knowledge requirements as well as English and maths requirements.
Things to consider
About the employer
Off the job training will be delivered in Middlesbrough, together with training to cover maths and English, if required. On the job training will be given by Middlesbrough Environment City. An assessor will visit the place of work to observe apprentices carrying out their job.
Cleaning and Environmental Services
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Middlesbrough Council
Carole Thorpe 01642 811414 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 25 Jul 2017