Apprentice Administrative Assistant Backwell Comprehensive School
Working under the general direction of the Business Support Manager, undertake a range of clerical duties which support the management of the school in an effective and positive manner.
Closing date: 24 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2017
12 Jul 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- Working under the general direction of the Business Support Manager, undertake a range of clerical duties which support the management of the school in an effective and positive manner.
- To act as an integral part of the school staff team, and as such to make a contribution to the overall aims of the school, working within agreed policies and procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
(a) Support for Headteacher, Governors and School Management Team
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with line manager
- Work with the Business Support Manager in such a way as to ensure that there is an understanding and clarity of the post holder’s responsibility for specific tasks.
- Provide secretarial support - Undertake routine clerical, photocopying and typing work in consultation with line manager.
Undertake associated administrative duties and maintain school paper and ICT records in respect of:
Students and staff
- Manage the input, maintenance and retrieval of personal and collective data in respect of students and staff at the school, ensuring that confidential information is held securely.
General Clerical Duties
- Undertake routine office duties, such as filing, photocopying and post distribution and dispatch.
- Undertake typing, word processing, spreadsheet work and other ICT data input, maintenance and retrieval as directed.
Undertake associated reprographic duties
- To operate the print room copiers and carry out printing to a high standard either from paper originals or via email as requested by school staff. To prioritise work in line with direction from the Print and Post room supervisor and ensure important deadlines are met.
- To carry out associated printing tasks, e.g. booklet paste-up, book binding, laminating, finishing.
- To undertake routine maintenance of copiers and printers e.g. toner replacement, cleaning screens etc.
- To deal with all outgoing external mail including packaging of parcels
(b) Support for external contacts/organisations and visitors to the school
- Act as receptionist for visitors to the school, providing information or referring enquiries to other members of staff, as appropriate.
- Receive incoming telephone calls to the school, responding to enquiries, taking messages or redirecting callers, as appropriate.
Record visitors to the School
- Maintain the schools’ Visitor Book and ensure that a comprehensive record is maintained of everyone entering and leaving the premises. Issue visitor badges and Health and Safety Information notices.
- Assisting with the provision of refreshments for meetings, hospitality bookings and ensuring that meeting facilities are prepared.
(c) Support for the school
Develop and maintain working relationships with other professionals
- Work effectively with teachers, support staff and other professionals, applying own strengths and expertise to contribute positively to the overall aims and objectives of the school. Provide effective support for all other members of the school staff by sharing own knowledge and expertise in a professional and constructive manner
- Take an active role in supporting and developing a culture of team working for the benefit of students and teachers, both individually and collectively. Actively participate in staff and team meetings and contribute to the development of policies and procedures related to the use of science based equipment and aids.
Contributing to the management of the security and well-being of the school
- Always undertake duties in such a way as to ensure that the school is a safe and welcoming environment. Be familiar with all the school’s policies concerning the safety of students.
- To ensure safe working practices and conformity with School Health and Safety Policies.
Review and Develop own professional practice
- Maintain effectiveness as a member of the school staff by taking responsibility for own continuing learning and development. Attendance will be required at any training courses provided by the school.
This is not an exhaustive list and some changes to both the Job Description and duties may occur at the discretion of the Business Support Manager.
- The post holder does not have supervisory responsibilities for other staff.
- There are no budgetary responsibilities attached to this post.
- Overall supervision received from the Business Support Manager.
- Staff and students within the school, including voluntary helpers.
- External visitors to the school.
Equipment/Apparatus: Large and small office equipment. Telephone system.
Premises: Reception and Student Services Office.
Requirements and prospects
- Experience of customer service.
- Experience of administrative work in an organisation.
- Experience of internet, email and word processing.
- Use of spreadsheets and tables
- Website development and building
- Hard working and enthusiastic.
- Good communication skills.
- Well organised.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- A willingness to learn and develop.
- A suitable individual to work with children and young people
- A clear DBS is required
Mathematics, English and IT at GCSE or equivalent grade A to C or 9 – 4 or NVQ Level 2
Things to consider
About the employer
- Intermediate qualification in Business Administration
- Full on the job training
- Monthly visits from college assessor
- Functional skills - if applicable
Business and Administration
WESTON COLLEGE OF FURTHER AND HIGHER EDUCATION
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Weston College
Charlotte Denning 01934 411594 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 24 Sep 2017