Apprentice Receptionist Harleston Medical Practice
This busy doctors practice is looking for an apprentice to join the team as a receptionist, a busy role covering a wide range of mainly customer facing duties, however some back office administration will also be required.
Closing date: 25 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
09 Oct 2017
13 Jul 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
The purpose of the role is to:
- Offer general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
- Receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
- Facilitate effective communication between patients, members the primary health care team, secondary care and other associated healthcare agencies.
- Undertake a variety of administrative duties to assist in the smooth running of the practice including the provision of secretarial and clerical support to clinical staff and other members of the practice team.
Duties and responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities to be undertaken by members of the practice reception/administration team may include any or all of the items in the following list. Duties may be varied from time to time under the direction of the practice manager, dependent on current and evolving practice workload and staffing levels:
- To have a thorough working knowledge of all practice procedures.
- To work in accordance with practice protocols.
- Maintaining and monitoring the practice appointments system.
- Processing personal and telephone requests for appointments, visits and telephone consultations and ensuring callers are directed to the appropriate healthcare professional.
- Processing and distributing incoming (and outgoing) mail.
- Taking messages and passing on information accurately.
- Filing and retrieving paperwork.
- Processing repeat prescriptions in accordance with practice guidelines.
- Initiating contact with and responding to requests from patients, other team member and associated healthcare agencies and providers.
- Clearing and re-stock consulting rooms as required.
- Providing clerical assistance to practice staff as required from time to time, including word/data processing, filing, photocopying and scanning.
- Dispose confidential waste appropriately.
- Provision of refreshments for staff and visitors as required.
- Keeping the reception area, notice-boards and leaflet dispensers tidy and free from obstructions and clutter.
- Ensure building security – have thorough knowledge of doors/windows/alarm.
- Participate in team meetings.
In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately.
Health & safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice health & safety policy, and will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues.
Requirements and prospects
- We require a polite individual with a professional telephone manner as well as excellent communication, interpersonal, team working and organisational skills.
- Time management is also a key attribute for this role.
- The successful candidate will have experience of problem solving and liaising with the general public.
- A high level of attention to detail and professionalism is also required.
- A good basic knowledge of Microsoft word and excel as well as email is also beneficial.
- The successful candidate will have a friendly, helpful outlook.
- They will be confident interacting with a variety of people with an awareness of the importance of confidentiality.
- The individual will be keen to learn new skills and be able to prioritise workload.
- You will need to be a confident communicator and well presented at all times.
- During busy periods you will need to be able to prioritise your work load and work calmly under pressure, following practice policy at all times.
- GCSE, or equivalent, A* to C in English, Maths and Science (minimum).
About the employer
- On the job training to be given in addition to apprenticeship with recognised training provider.
Customer service > Customer Service Practitioner
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Skills Edge
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 25 Sep 2017