Electrical Engineering Apprentice, Nottingham BLACKBURN STARLING & COMPANY LIMITED
Initially part of a small team, you will have the opportunity to move around the various teams on the shop floor to allow you to develop your skill set and become a multi skilled Engineer.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
14 Oct 2017
16 Jun 2017
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
Vision Apprentices are delighted to be working with Blackburn Starling and Company Ltd to recruit 3 Control Panel Wirer Apprentices.
Blackburn Starling is one of the UK’s largest Electrical Switchgear Manufacturers and Control Engineers offering an unrivalled combination of experience and capability. The company’s long trading history (147 years) derives from its commitment to technology driven growth and dedicated support for its customers.
The company operates from a 4.5 acre manufacturing facility on the Queens Drive Industrial Estate in Nottingham which covers: Sales, Tendering, Engineering Design, SCADA/PLC Software, Sheet Metal Fabrication, Powder Coating, Manufacturing, Testing, Delivery, Installation and Commissioning.
To support their continued growth, Blackburn Starling is looking to appoint a number of Control Panel Wirers to join their well-established teams. The role is varied and will involve working in design, fabrication assembly, copper bus bar manufacture and assembly, gear plate assembly/wiring and final electrical assembly including intelligent/conventional products covering LV Switchgear and MCCs.
You will be working in a modern manufacturing environment and should be practically minded with a strong academic background (particularly in Mathematics and Sciences), enthusiastic, hardworking and reliable.
As part of your apprenticeship you will attend Vision West Nottinghamshire College 1 day per week to complete an Electrical Engineering Apprenticeship.
Successful candidates will initially achieve a Level 2 Technical Certificate: Diploma in Engineering Technology Modern Apprenticeship including a level 2 NVQ in Performing Engineering Operations during the first 2 years. Following successful completion of the first 2 years this can then lead on to a further 2 years of work and study to a level 3 Technical Certificate: Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Modern Apprenticeship including a level 3 NVQ in Electrical / Electronic Engineering work based qualification or equivalent.
The role is well suited to candidates who have a keen interest in engineering and are committed to beginning a career in this sector. Upon successful completion of your apprenticeship there could be the opportunity to pursue other opportunities within Blackburn Starling.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role:
- Learn how to read and interpret technical drawings and specifications
- Learn how to design and assemble a our range of LV Switchgear and MCC/Control Panel Products
- Learn how to inspect and check components
- Learn about the wiring of panels and how to diagnose and rectify faults
- Gain a good understanding of the sector and the products and services supplied by Blackburn Starling
- Attend college and produce work of a high standard
£35.50 weekly attendance allowance available each week for successfully meeting set criteria.
Requirements and prospects
- Good communication skills
- An engineering aptitude
- Mechanically minded and a good problem solver
- Comfortable using basic features of Microsoft Word and internal IT systems
- Good time management
- Able to deal with customers and colleagues in a professional manner
- Happy to work in a manufacturing environment
- Previous work placement experience
- Committed to beginning a career in engineering
- GCSE Grades A to C or 9-4 (new grades) equivalent are essential, specifically English and Maths
Things to consider
About the employer
BLACKBURN STARLING & COMPANY LIMITED
- Vision Business is part of the West Nottinghamshire College Group. West Nottinghamshire College is one of the largest and most successful colleges in the country with a well-earned reputation for excellence particularly in the areas of apprenticeships. The college was named a national Beacon College in 2009. With 30,000 students nationwide and links with over 2,000 employers, we are a high-profile centre of education that is well known for producing work-ready, ambitious and highly-skilled individuals. We offer apprenticeships, advanced apprenticeships and adult apprenticeships in a range of sector specialisms
- An apprenticeship is an on the job learning programme that allows you, the apprentice, to earn a wage, gain valuable work experience and industry specific competence. You will be expected to work towards theory elements in addition to putting the theory into practice, some of this will be in your own time
- As part of your apprenticeship and dependent on your prior attainment you may be required to complete Maths, English and ICT Functional Skills which are an integral part of your apprenticeship. Upon successful completion you will be awarded additional certificates of recognition
- Vision Business will also work with you to ensure your knowledge of Employment Rights and Responsibilities are at the required level for an apprentice
- Should you have any questions or wish to discuss this or any other vacancy please call the Vision Apprentices team on 01623 627191 extension 8799
Engineering and manufacturing > Engineering Technician
VISION WEST NOTTINGHAMSHIRE COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Vision West Nottinghamshire College
Rachel Gould 01623 627191
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017