Apprentice Stockperson Measures Farms Ltd
Ever wanted to become a poultry farmer? If so this is an exciting opportunity to join a family farming business producing turkeys all year round for some of the UK’s leading supermarkets.
Closing date: 30 Oct 2017
Total hours per week: 39.00
Possible start date
07 Nov 2017
25 May 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
If you enjoy being out doors and physically active, rather than sitting at a desk all day, we are offering exciting opportunity to get into farming.
As Apprentice Stockperson you will support the day to day duties on a modern poultry farm, rearing turkeys from fluffy yellow day old chicks right through to fully grown 20kg birds. We rear our turkeys on 7 different sites which you will travel between daily to carry out checks, learning about the turkey at each stage of its life.
Joining our small friendly team, you will work alongside the Poultry Team Leader and Farm Director to develop the range of skills and knowledge to ensure the smooth running of our poultry operation. This will give you the opportunity to progress your career and gain the skills you need to manage poultry.
Possible duties could include;
- Daily flock checks, husbandry procedures and record keeping.
- Mucking out / washing sheds and setting up ready for new birds arriving.
- Chick placement and loading older birds.
- Machinery repairs and maintenance.
- Ensuring compliance with company biosecurity and health & safety policies.
Once qualified you will be expected to take on more complex tasks such as;
- Applying chemicals with a knapsack sprayer.
- Rodent Control.
- Operating farm machinery including tractors, bail spreaders and forklifts.
Requirements and prospects
- This is a physically demanding role and will involve close contact with the turkeys, including catching, handling and removal of injured/ill birds.
- Good observation skills, to immediately and instinctively spot any variations in the behaviour and well being of a flock of turkeys.
- Someone who is practical, and able to follow through set methods and procedures accurately.
- Good communication skills, including neat handwriting when recording information. Ability to do simple arithmetic without a calculator!
- Confidence to use your own initiative, and think through problems logically.
- Have a positive “can do” attitude.
- Happy working in both a team and independently.
- Have a flexible approach to work.
- Be reliable and hardworking.
- Be a good time keeper.
- Good sense of humour.
- Have a genuine interest in Agriculture.
- Ideally 4 G.C.S.E’s grade C or above (or equivalent qualifications) This is not essential for a candidate with the right attitude.
Things to consider
About the employer
Measures Farms Ltd
The twelve month work based Apprenticeship will include the following training:
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Agriculture (Poultry Production).
- City & Guilds Functional Skills Level 1 Maths.
- City & Guilds Functional Skills Level 1 English.
- Personal Learning & Thinking Skills Workbook.
- Employee Rights & Responsibilities Workbook.
Learners will also be expected to attend monthly development workshops which will cover various poultry related topics including:
- Bird Health.
- Bird Treatment.
- Egg Production.
- Hatchery Skills.
- Waste Management / Renewable Energy’s.
- Quality Assurance / Auditing.
- Cleaning and Disinfection.
POULTEC TRAINING LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Poultec Training Ltd
Ben Gaskins email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 30 Oct 2017