Dental Nurse Apprenticeship Mr Jinesh Shah, Henry Ohovi & Daya Gahir
You will provide high quality support for the Orthodontist, Oral Surgeon and/or therapist. You will work in a safe and effective manner in accordance with the "Code of Ethics" of the British Association of Dental Nurses and the GDC.
Closing date: 29 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
02 Oct 2017
15 May 2017
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
Performance of these duties is under the reasonable directions of the Practice Manager made known from time to time as appropriate.
- To establish and maintain productive working relationships with all members of the dental team
- To ensure that the surgical areas and equipment are regularly cleaned and maintained, including aspiration systems and autoclaves, paying all due attention to relevant legal and ethical codes, in addition to the practice policy in respoect of cross infection control and Health & Safety
- To keep accurate records and ensure the recording methoda are used in line with agreed practice polocy, current medico-legal guidelines and recommendations from offical bodies
- To liaise with the Practice Manager on all matters concerning administration, pay and service conditions
- Support and participate in practice meetings, KPI's and CQC.
- Maintain a professional look at all times, in line with our Uniformm and PPE Policies
- To assist at reception and perform other clerical duties if required
- Set-up and prepare the surgery for the type of patient and treatment planned before the start of each session
- Undertake necessary start up and end of day tests, keeping all necessary recordings in accordance with HTM 01-05 guidelines
- Prepare the necessary materials and instruments
- Provide clinical assistance to the dentist/therapist while treating the patient, under his/her supervision
- Take all reasonable methofs to ensure patient comfort
- Continually interpret the needs of the patients and dentists or therapists, and deal with them promptly and efficiently
- Assist in the correct procedure for dental radiography including processing and mounting, following IR (ME)R and I.R.R guidelines at all times
- Ensure safe disposal of sharpes and clinical waste
- Check patients medical history information is up to date and advise the dentists or therapist of any problems she/he has noted
- Chart and update patients records on the computer as necessary, and assist the dentists or therapist in the completion of records
- Clean and sterilise all equipment/instruments and working surfaces to the required standards at the end of each session, including the sterilising room
- To make certain that an efficient link with the dental laboratory is upheld to prevent delays in the dispatch and receipt of work
- Follow all practice policies and procedures
- Follow Health & Safety Codes, C.O.S.H.H and R.I.D.D.O.R guidelines at all times, including when taking x-rays, handling mercury, disposing of sharps and clinical waste, resuscitation, emergency procedures and fire drill
- Comply all dental ethical guidelines including all rules on confidentiality, Data Proctection and Safeguarding Protection
- Report equipment failures or breakages to the Practice Manager, so that action may be taken to remedy and defects
- Monitor and maintain stocks within the dental surgery as necessary, informing the Practice Manager and liasing with the dentist and therapist over necessary orders, and warning of any shortages of materials in the stores
- To maintain and increase competence in nursing skills by acively following a programme of Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
- Perform any other tasks as reasonably requested by the Practice Manager
- Communicate appropriately and sensitively with patients who nay be fearful, vulnerable, have sensitive concerns or have special needs i.e. physical and learnign difficulties, elderly, deaf or for who English is not their first language
- Assist in the care of a patient during a medical or dental emergency
- Undertake all mandatory training courses and maintain statutory obligation
- To carry out any other duties requested by the employer to ensure that patients receive a high quality of patient care. To be flexible with your duties to ensure the smooth running of the practice
Requirements and prospects
- Excellent communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Abilitiy to follow instructions.
GCSE Grade A-D in Maths and English or equivalent qualifications.
GRADE D GCSE will guarantee an interview with Walsall College to assess suitability. You will be required to achieve Level 1 initial assessments to be able to be put forward to employer interview.
Things to consider
About the employer
Mr Jinesh Shah, Henry Ohovi & Daya Gahir
- Dental Nurse Standard.
- Functional Skills at Level 2 in English and Maths, if applicable.
- Employer Rights & Responsibilities (ERR) Workbook.
- Personal Learning & Thinking Skills (PLTS) Workbook.
Dental health > Dental Nurse
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Walsall College - Wisemore Campus
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 29 Sep 2017