Apprentice Dental Nurse Langman & Associates
Excellent opportunity to work in a well-established up-to date practice with a recognised training centre. The practice has a programme of continual modernisation which we hope is to the benefit of all staff and patients. Both premises are fully computerised with the latest in dental software and digital radiography.
Closing date: 31 Aug 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
04 Sep 2017
09 May 2017
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
- Keep the clinical areas and all equipment and instruments clean, tidy and sterile as appropriate, according to the practice’s Health and Safety and Cross-Infection Control procedures and manufacturers’ instructions.
- Use all equipment and machinery in accordance with manufacturers’ recommendations and ensure that they are maintained regularly and in good working order.
- Provide chairside assistance as required, ensuring that the correct equipment and materials are available.
- Always ensure the care and welfare of patients in a friendly, helpful and courteous manner.
- Accurately complete patient clinical records, as directed by the dentists and have these confirmed as a true record.
- Ensure computer/written records are accurately maintained and securely stored.
- Observe patient confidentiality at all times.
- Handle all substances in accordance with Health and Safety Policies and Control of Substance Hazardous to Health documents.
- Be familiar and comply with all Health and Safety rules and guidance, including PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health), Mercury Handling, Infection Control, Waste Disposal, Radiation Protection, Sharps Injuries Guidelines, etc.
- Develop and file radiographs according to the practices quality assurance programme and ensure scanning equipment is regularly cleaned and maintained. Where automatic developing is required, ensure radiographic solutions are at the correct strength and temperature and are changed as directed.
- Complete laboratory request forms and keep records of work sent, received and fitted.
- Ensure adequate stocks of materials and other items within the surgery.
- Ask the Purchasing Manager to order new supplies as necessary.
- Liaise with reception to ensure smooth patient communications and transfer of records.
- Attend and participate in practice meetings.
- Other non-clinical duties as necessary, for the efficient operation of the practice.
- Undertake training to work towards qualification which is the Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing and register with the General Dental Council following guidelines as set out in the GDC Standards Guidance.
- Undertake further training as may be required to develop your skills and abilities. A statutory requirement is to complete Information Governance Training, Fire Awareness Training and Safeguarding Training provided by the practice.
- Attend practice refresher courses and update training in Basic Life Support (BLS) and Automated External Defibrillation (AED)
- Act in accordance with the practice rules and code of conduct.
- Work at other practice locations from time to time as required.
Requirements and prospects
- Good I T Skills
- Excellent communication skills with extended team and patients
- Empathetic manner with patients.
- Enthusiastic and motivated in learning.
- Able to work as a part of a team as well as use own initiative and also a willingness to follow the uniform code
GCSE or equivalent maths and English Grades A-C desirable
Things to consider
About the employer
Additional location information
- L3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- L2 Functional Skills in Maths unless GCSE A-C (9-4) achieved
- L2 Functional Skills in English (unless GCSE A-C (9-4) achieved
- Practical Dental Nursing skills taught on the job to a high level
Health - Dental Nursing
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Warwickshire College
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 31 Aug 2017