Apprentice Chef Cross Lanes Organic Farm Limited
To assist in the production and service of food for the catering operation, ensuring consistently high standards are adhered to in all aspects of the job.
Closing date: today
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
25 Sep 2017
11 Apr 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
This is a full time position, and which will include attendance at Darlington College one day per week, offering an excellent opportunity for an aspiring chef to gain the knowledge, experience and qualifications to embark on a successful career in the catering industry.
Apprenticeship summary: You will be responsible for assisting in the preparation, cooking and the presentation of food with the aim to delivering an excellent customer experience. You would also be required to undertake all reasonable duties as assigned by the head chef.
You must have basic cooking skills and have the desire to learn new ones. You will have a good working attitude and enjoy the buzz of working in a busy kitchen environment.
- Learn different procedures of food preparation
- Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of chefs
- Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens and fryers
- Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
- Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and any near expiry ones are dealt with according to the restaurant’s policies
- Help chefs in cooking activities by providing input and managing work
- Set up food stations by following chef’s orders
- Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
- Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
- Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
- Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organized at all times
- Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocols are adhered to
- Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding high culinary standards
- Assist chef in developing menus and provide suggestions for alternates such as sauces and levels of spice for each entrée
- Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly
- Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards
- Provide input into stock rotation activities and make sure that food inventory is in check
- Learn and employ the basics of food aesthetics in sync with the restaurant’s set instructions
- Maintain a “clean as you go” work ethic
N.B. This Job Description is designed to give you an overall view of the job and is not a definitive list of tasks.
Requirements and prospects
- Flexible approach to work
- Good communication skills
- Able to work under pressure and multi task
- Self-motivation and a passion for cooking
- Good work ethic and a commitment to learning
- Culinary skills will be developed on the apprenticeship programme
- Honest, reliable and hard working with the ability to work under pressure.
- Friendly, with ability to work in harmony with colleagues.
- Proactive approach and positive attitude.
- Good work ethic and attention to detail.
- Clean, tidy and presentable – setting an example to other staff members
- Effective interpersonal skills in order to liaise with internal and external customers
You will be required to attend an interview at the college for all courses and Apprenticeships and we will request a school or college report.
Based on the entry requirements the minimum duration for this apprenticeship is 12 months.
Things to consider
About the employer
Full training will be provided: This apprenticeship standard is set at level 2. The minimum duration for this apprenticeship is 12 months.
Hospitality > Commis Chef
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Darlington College
Mark Thorpe 01325 503031 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: today